Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Day O' Quotes!

So... We're continuing on with our Humanity unit in GT! We looked at two quotes, one from John Donne and one from Jean-Paul Sartre. John Donne states that "No man is an island." Personally, I agree with his statement. No man can be an island. No man can afford to be. They may feel they are at times-- I know I have. At the end of the day though, it isn't true. Even for the briefest of the moments when you someone smiles at you or waves a hello. In that moment, you are not an island. There's still a little bridge that connects you to the land mass. The difference is, some people just have a more stable bridge and are more comfortable crossing it. 

The second quote is from Jean-Paul Satre says that "Hell is other people." These quotes aren't exactly opposite, but they do have different feelings toward humans. I actually agree with this quote too. Sometimes people can be excrutiatingly difficult to deal with, but that doesn't mean we're alone. The reason we know that other people can be Hell is because we have to deal with them. Personally, I think I get annoyed with other people because I could never see myself making some of the decisions that they make. It's hard to remember that people are brought up differently and think differently. That doesn't change the fact that they feel like Hell sometimes.

On the same topic of loneliness and happiness, I found a quote from Naomi Campbell. She says, "Anger is a manifestation of a deeper issue... and that, for me, is based on insecurity, self-esteem and loneliness." Talk about the story of my life... I've learned to control my anger well, but when I do express alllllll of my rage, it's safe to say that I am no short of
the Devil's daughter. If I stop to think about it though, most of my insecurities are feeding my anger. Maybe if everyone stopped thinking that they need to be a certain way, maybe we'd all have less anger issues. Also, if I felt less lonely sometimes, maybe I would be less angry sometimes. If I was less angry, I wouldn't push people away as much. But I'm still lonely and angry and that just makes me lonely all over again. It's a never-ending viscious cycle.


The next quote I found is about happiness. I don't know the source, but they state that "happiness is like jam. You can't spread even a little without getting some on yourself." I agree. Often, I forget about finding happiness for myself. Instead, I try to help my friend. When she finally succeeds in whatever she's doing, I smile. Helping her be happy makes me happy. When she tells me she's happy, I feel relieved and that makes me happy as well. So I guess happiness is like jam. Sweet and you can't not get some on yourself.

1 comment:

  1. "Maybe if everyone stopped thinking that they need to be a certain way, maybe we'd all have less anger issues." I think there's something to this, Amarpreet. No matter how hard some of us try not to worry what others think and conform to society, it's inevitable. Societal norms are often so much stronger than we are.

    On a positive note, I really like your second quote about happiness being like jam. I always feel better after helping someone else. It's a sweet feeling. (Terrible pun, I'm sorry.)

    ReplyDelete